CANHR Current Job Opening
September 24th, 2021
You can download a PDF version of this job description HERE.
CANHR has over 38 years of experience advocating to improve choices, care and quality of life for California's long term care consumers, and is increasingly focused on enforcing resident rights, protecting senior home equity, expanding alternatives to institutionalization, and accessing health care for low-income seniors and persons with disabilities. CANHR has been a State Bar-funded Legal Services Support Center since 1990, providing training, technical assistance and advocacy support to legal services program staff throughout California.
CANHR is looking for an attorney with experience in litigation to achieve remedies for clients when injured or neglected, or when there has been financial abuse. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively with external law firms to review cases for suitability for legal remedies, and provide technical assistance and strategy planning. Duties include the supervision of CANHR’s Elder Law Litigation Panel, a network of private bar attorneys engaged in elder abuse litigation, and litigation or representation of consumers for issues related to elder abuse, facility eviction or acquisition of benefits to improve housing stability.
This position works with the CANHR team to advocate at the federal, state and local level on issues related to long term care and elder justice issues, makes policy recommendations to state agencies, and pursues advocacy options for consumers, including litigation to protect the rights of consumers. The Staff Attorney will assist in developing and implementing CANHR’s various training programs, and provide continuing education to private-bar attorneys, legal services programs, consumers, elder services providers, and government entities.
- Litigation & Advocacy Support
- Collaborate with CANHR attorneys and partner private bar attorneys to identify and develop litigation strategies to address systemic issues related to enforcement and elder abuse.
- Review potential for class action or high impact cases against long term care providers or targeting illegal practices in institutional or elder fiduciary abuse.
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside counsel or partners for filing potential litigation.
- Work closely with Director, and CANHR attorneys to identify Cy pres funding opportunities.
- Provide advice and counsel for organizational and legal issues.
- Assist with amicus briefs to support long term care issues in cases of note.
- Provide direct assistance to consumers and professionals on issues such as eviction, elder and financial abuse, and when appropriate refer to panel attorneys or legal services.
- Training, Education & Outreach
- Provide training, technical assistance and advocacy support to legal services program staff throughout California.
- Assist in the development of written materials for educational and advocacy purposes, including alerts, training materials, and issue briefs.
- Collaborate with staff attorneys to coordinate the litigation track for annual Elder Law Conference.
- Develop and provide training for panel attorneys, legal services staff, other attorneys, long-term care professionals, and consumers on elder law issues.
- Expand and maintain CANHR’s Financial Abuse Brief Bank.
- Draft and disseminate legal analyses and educational materials for private bar attorneys and legal services staff.
- Represent CANHR in the media through radio, television and articles.
- Policy Advocacy
- Develop, lead, and/or participate in policy advocacy at the state and national level, including commenting on and drafting legislation and regulations, and participating in stakeholder workgroups, committees and task forces.
- Identify key issues and draft elder consumer protection legislative proposals.
- Develop relationships with key legislative staff members and relevant advocacy groups for supporting CANHR’s legislative advocacy efforts.
- Provide expertise and technical support to legislative staff regarding elder consumer protection issues.
- Litigation Panel Coordination
- Maintain CANHR ’s Elder Law litigation panels.
- Network with private bar attorneys to encourage advocacy for elder abuse litigation and create innovative projects that promote CANHR’s Lawyer Referral Service (LRS).
- Coordinate tracking of litigation referral intakes and analysis of case disposition and settlement trends.
- Monitor CANHR ’s litigation listservs, answer members questions, and post announcements, updates and litigation developments.
- Three or more years of experience practicing law.
- Active membership in good standing with the California State Bar.
- Experience working with advocacy organizations, state and local government entities, and diverse populations.
- Excellent advocacy skills (such as research, writing, analytic, oral).
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple and complex advocacy projects, build strong relationships, and work well in collaboration with others.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. CANHR provides a generous benefits package, including health, dental, life insurance and vacation.
California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from persons of color, women, and LGBTQ individuals, persons with disabilities and persons from underrepresented groups
Page Last Modified: September 24, 2021