APPLEWOOD CARE CENTER
1090 RIO LANE, SACRAMENTO, CA 95822
Citation Number: 030004037
Citation Date: 6/21/2007
Violation Date: 2/4/2007
On 2/4/07, an 82 year old resident died due to asphyxiation after he began choking while being fed dinner by a nursing assistant. The resident had previously expressed a desire for full resuscitation and stated he "wants whatever it takes to sustain his life." Despite this wish, a facility RN stopped CPR before paramedics arrived and assumed care. The local fire department arrived and found the resident in bed, with a heart beat, with no one performing CPR. Fire fighters performed CPR for about 20 minutes before the resident was pronounced dead.