On 12/23/08, a resident caught fire and suffered fatal burns while smoking in the dining room. The facility's staff initially panicked before the fire was put out, even though there was a fire blanket and extinguisher within 6 feet. The resident sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 40 percent of his body. He was transferred to two hospitals, underwent skin graft surgery, suffered kidney failure requiring dialysis, and was admitted to ICU with life support before dying 18 days after the incident. The facility was cited because it failed to develop a plan of care for the resident's smoking and failed to respond immediately and appropriately in accordance with its fire policy. These violations caused the resident's death.