Did You Know?
You have the right to choose your own pharmacy
- Nursing facilities cannot force residents to buy medications from a specific pharmacy.
- California Health & Safety Code ?1320 states that nursing facilities ?shall not require patients to purchase drugs, or rent or purchase medical supplies or equipment, from any particular pharmacy or other source.?
- ?1569.314 is the equivalent law for residential care facilities for the elderly (RCFE?s).
- What facilities can require is that residents and pharmacies comply with medication policies and procedures reasonably necessary for patient care or compliance with regulations.
- If facilities persist in refusing medication purchases from outside pharmacies, call CANHR at (800) 474-1116, and file a complaint with your local Licensing office.